Thursday, December 25, 2014

Why You Need an Online MBA

Photo credit: Under30ceo.com
While securing an MBA degree can open the door to high-paying positions in the corporate world, it will also beneficial for an entrepreneur. Yearly, professionals from all works of life in Nigeria research for the right schools for an MBA degree. While some take to full-time MBA programmes, others opt for Part-time or distance-learning MBA degree.
In my own view, it is better to opt for an Online or Part-time MBA course than the full-time. The difference between the two is that in the full-time, the student is required to be physically present at campus site, while in the Online or distance-learning category, the student has his training and course delivery done via online media such as the internet. At the end of the day, both options should lead to the same end, namely, an MBA certification.
I have personally undertook two post-graduate degrees from Universities abroad and both of them were run on part-time basis. My first post-graduate degree was obtained from a University based in Sweden by the name Blekinge Tekniska Hogskola based in Karlskrona, Sweden. The registration or enrollment process was pretty straight forward . After filling an online application form, I was asked to submit prerequisite documentary evidences of my past educational qualifications which I had to submit e-copies online and the school took care of verifying by themselves whatever claim I had made. After their verification exercise, I received an enrollment letter both by snail mail and email.
The induction was conducted online and the lectures were all delivered by a mix of video and online forums. I was given unique and secure login details by which I could log on to the discussion board, interact with lecturers, fellow students, download lecture papers and materials as well as submit my assignments and assessment works.
The entire process also required discipline from my own end of the interactions as I had to reorganize my personal and work life to fit into my academic schedules. All studies and credit hours must be met and assignment submitted as and when due. Lectures which where delivered through e-learning platforms must be logged into as an when due. It was not an easy discipline and who says going to school while working is easy?
When I finished my second online degree in MBA at University of Bradford School of Management, I attended the graduation ceremony and met my colleagues who attended as full-time students. But I will not forget the lamentations I heard from Nigerian students who attended as full-time students. They were all broke and things were hard because according to one of them, there seems to be no ready job except the menial ones in the UK, as you are not entitled to grade one jobs since you are not a citizen. Another, Nigerian student who saw how I could easily afford the food and transportation in the very expensive UK environment asked me a question which kept resounding in my memories for a long time now: 'Who advised you to take this course as an Distance-learning or Online option?'. He went on: 'How I wished I had received the same advice as you before leaving my job to come to this hard place!'.

Online MBA - You don't have to leave your job

Come to think of it, I indeed made the right choice by taking my MBA as a distance-learning option. My  friend did not. He had to do menial jobs to carry on in the UK and kept whining in regret on why he resigned from his banking job to go do a full-time MBA after which he is not even sure of a full-time or contract job.
My advise to you is simple. It is better to take your MBA or other post-graduate degree as online MBA than relinquishing your career job just because you want to take a course at some University.
Yes, it will be challenging like every other worthwhile endeavours in life but with discipline and wise planning, an online MBA or masters course will pay off better since it does not disrupt your career job. It will even be more beneficial as you can relate real life practice cases at work to concepts and theories being presented to you during your MBA program.